View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #231
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Well lets just agree to disagree. Ayers lined up a lot inside Dumervil and also played DE some on first downs against the run.

And it's not about changing the scheme. It's about getting the best players for the most important part of the defense. Even with Mike Adams and no real Mike we're still a top 5 defense against the run and pass. Why? It's simply because of our DL plus Von. And with Bannan aging and inferior players like Unrein, Siliga, Jackson we are going to upgrade that unit.

I'm not advocating changing the scheme to achieve that, just getting better players to improve the scheme. For example, why settle for Unrein or Siliga when you can have a shot at a superior two gapper in Glen Dorsey who's a long term answer or a superior prospect through the draft? You think a better two gapping DT will only play 20 or so snaps a game?

On a personal level, I agree with both you and Bmore Manning. I just have serious doubts that the front office believes we need to spend top resources at DT, especially after our success this year with three guys that would be considered league average at best. We do have to pinch pennies somewhere in order to extend our WRs and Woodyard.

Keep in mind, last year as fans, we thought Bunkley and Thomas were must-resigns after strong years. Neither were.

As for snap count, as long as we have Manning and continue to play with the lead, a DT in our scheme will continue to have very limited snaps. And Denver's mile high air will always dictate the big DTs play in a rotation.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote