View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #224
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I would prefer two DTs myself and the exact two you named. If we are playing our scheme similar to Seattle, then we would upgrade our DTs. Since they are playing in a read and react role, playing rookies would not be detrimental to our defense. I honestly believe Short and Williams would transition well and could make a better impact then Unrein and Silga quickly. We could still resign Big Vick and another Veteran and rotate them with the rookies. I hope the FO values upgrading DTs and improving our interior like we do.

I'm thinking Minter may not be available when we are on the clock, so I have been looking at other MLB prospects. The physicality that Andrew Jackson plays with is unreal. But I would need to see him be more fluid in coverage. But the more I think about it, with our rotation to nickel coverage with the Kentucky duo, we would probably sub out our MLB. So should we really be looking for a three down MLB per say? It may contradict what we are doing with our scheme. If we can get a dominate mid round MLB who excelled against the run and attacking downfield, then he can just be rotated out in coverage. Wouldn't we prefer WW and DT on the field in coverage anyway.. I think we are doing something very similar with Brooking anyway.

50/50 Minter is there or not. If he's gone I could easily see us go with a SS or WR at that point. I'd love for us to go DT, and I hope we do, but I have my reservations that we would go that route for all the reasons previously posted. Still, nothing would make me happier than if we draft Kawann Short or another DT.

In regards to our LB rotation, it's probably up in the air. We started the season with Joe Mays never leaving the field. And Brooking is actually second on our team at LB with coverage drops behind Woodyard. Woodyard has 416 coverage drops, while Mays/Brooking combined have 312. Miller has 141, Trevathan 146, Williams, 53.

So, by that data, we do prefer our MLB to stay on the field on all downs and be effective in coverage. Mays got benched because he was ineffective in his coverage drops. Brooking has actually graded out pretty well, but has been much weaker against the run. From what I can tell, we want our MLB to be best dropping into coverage and merely solid against the run. So, when I'm looking for MLBs for us next year, particularly in the draft, I'm looking for 3 down MIKEs effective against the run, but also with high level coverage ability. That's why I think Minter is a lock for our pick. There just aren't too many in this draft. Andrew Jackson, for me, is not a possibility for our team. He's Joe Mays. And we've decided that with Manning and playing with a lead so often that coverage skills are a must for our MLB.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote