Thread: needs
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
mlb is clearly our biggest weak spot. ppl think dj can fill in how ever he has yet to do so. hes being beat out for playing time by trevathon and brooking. thats sad , hes obviously not the answer. irvin has switched spots and doesnt see the feild much over miller obv. MLB clear cut #1 need, specifically of the every down TE covering sort.

i dont see DT as a huge need as other people do. ive been advocating for ayers to get playing time and kick wolfe inside next to bannan/vickerson. next year i see wolfe at full time DT , thus not a huge need at all. bannan and vick are Free agents id actually welcome them both back bannan been playing very nicely lately.

MLB is a weakeness but not a huge risk.

The biggest risk in this defense is at DL (I count Von among the DL because of how he's used).

Put it this way, with makeshift MLBs like Mays, Brooking, Wood, even DJ we're still a top 5 defense against the run and pass.

If we have an injury to any of the starters in the DL, we're screwed as Doom/Von are our pass rush and Vickerson/Wolfe/Bannan are the two gappers that slow down the run.

JDR's defense relies on having three DL that can two gap and keep Doom/Von in one on one matchups. DL is the biggest priority this offseason and the good news is that there should be a few very good DL free agents that fit the bill in our defense and the draft is shaping up to be a good one for DTs.

We can have a stud MLB but if we don't have the DTs (like Vickerson/Bannan who are FAs) then that Mike will be drowned out by traffic and OL while Von/Doom get double teamed.

We take care of the DL and we can put out even an average MLB and still have a top 5 defense.

Last edited by fontaine; 12-30-2012 at 06:41 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote