View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #109
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
PhD candidate in electrical engineering. Apple is a joke to the research community. Companies like IBM and Microsoft perform real, valuable research that advances society and improves lives. Apple is a marketing company that has done nothing for the world. Therefore, I would never give them my money when it could be better spent elsewhere. Steve Jobs was a prick, and was not revered by anybody but the media.

That said, Apple puts out a good product. however, The virus thing is completely overblown. What it primarily comes down to is software compatibility. Most of the software I personally need will not work on Mac. Most people do not have this problem, though.

I absolutely loved Windows 7. I've dabbled with Windows 8, but eventually just customized it to be like Windows 7 (not hard to do).

I would highly recommend, more than anything, is getting a SSD instead of an HDD, and use an external hard drive for large storage. SSD is far and away the best performance upgrade for computers in the last twenty years.
A few additional thoughts on Apple:

*Apple wants to sell you a tablet and a laptop.
*iPad is the only tablet platform with no mouse- Apple tells you that you don't need one (you are doing it wrong).
*Apple has a very serial product line that will catch up to them, just as it did in the early 90's.
*Steve Jobs is not innovating anymore. Apple will crack in time without him.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote