View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #85
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I haven't gotten a chance to use it, so I'm not prepared to judge it yet. That said, I love the concept of it, and understand what they're going for. Myself, I really want a touch screen desktop interface. Not exclusively - I'll always want to use a mouse - but I really like the idea of being able to manipulate my desktop through the screen the same way I do my mobile devices. I think Microsoft knows what they're doing better than anyone else at the desktop, and believe that Windows 8 is a strong step in the right direction towards what I want in the future. I don't hardly believe they've "nailed it" in their first try, but I like the direction it's going.

As far as the mobile goes, I am a huge fan of the Open WebOS platform, and know for sure that they got it right because I used it for a year. Maybe the Windows 8 mobile platform is equally elegant, but I doubt it, and I don't know how inclined I am to move to it given what I've got invested into Android right now. If I can get Open WebOS on Android in 12-24 months, I'll be set for a good long time. Obviously, I'm a unique case. There are not that many people who really know the advantages that WebOS has over the other platforms.
Oh there's definitely a market for touchscreen interaction on the desktop, but it's a small one and will continue to shrink and morph because the desktop/laptop market is going away, slowly but surely. It's being replaced by tablets and tablet/laptop hybrids that fulfill the needs to 80%+ of consumers, because 80% of consumers don't use a computer for anything other than consuming media.

The desktop/laptop market will remain, but will primarily be used by gamers and content producers (i.e. the people building software for tablets).

Trying to meld two entirely different purposes into one OS is will certainly work to some degree, but it just means you have an OS that is a jack of all trades and master of none. Add in the insane decision to have two incompatible versions of Win8 for mobile devices (Pro that is x86 based and RT that is ARM based like Andoid/iOS/BBOS) and its a disaster in the making because that decision completely negates any gains there are to be had from having a 'unified' desktop and mobile OS. x86 will never compete with ARM in the mobile arena.

Just wait till hordes of people who are buying Win8 Pro devices and apps try to upgrade to a Win8 RT device (or visa versa) and find out that none of their applications are compatible anymore and they have to repurchase *everything* for zero gain in actual functionality.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote