View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #59
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
True, but the thought that they would get as pissy as Kaiser did, who ultimately lost his suit against Bowlen, by the way, is unlikely. They were never direct owners and as I understand are pretty "Canadian" up there and their interest in the Broncos is pretty small beyond the financial aspect.

The other thing is Bowlen could begin to sell more of his shares of the franchise over to Elway - especially if no one in the family wants to run things. If Elway could secure 20% of the team in the next decade, it wouldn't be hard to get a group together to buy the rest.
Hell, its not like anyone knows what Elway's compensation for being President of Football Operations entails. For all we know Bowlen is already paying him with team shares. He did try to give Elway 7% when he retired after all.

I'd expect when Pat is too old to effectively manage the team or passes away he and Elway will have a succession plan in place whereby Elway takes over day to day ownership while a group of partners help fund the buyout of Bowlen's family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elway has already set up an agreement with Manning which sees him buy in as well.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote