View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #609
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanatic View Post
The Constitution doesn't grant any rights, it merely stipulates those inalienable rights endowed by our Creator. The Founders' words there, and there are a plethora of quotes from them to know the intent. If our rights are not "granted" by government, then government does not have the authority to take them away. Whether or not a person is religious, that should be good news.

I don't see compromise as a virtue in every case.

Another example, somewhat extreme but to make the point:

Police officer A wants to rape my wife. Police officer B only wants to cop a feel.

Do I allow a compromise on this? Or, even though this is an "authority" figure, do I resist, and violently if necessary?

Before anyone poo-poos the example, things like that happen in despotic countries, and the freedoms we take for granted are historically the exception, not the rule. I will resist every effort to strip away those freedoms.
Please quote for me anywhere in the US Constitution where it says that any rights are God-given.

The Declaration of Independence, which you are quoting, has no legal authority. Period. It can't be cited as precedent. It is not legally binding in any way.

There is absolutely no mention of or reference to God, creation, or anything else along those lines in the Constitution, except, of course, about how the State must separate itself from religion.

So yes, legally, your rights are granted by the Constitution, which you can actually go look at in Washington DC. Not by some being that may or may not exist.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote