View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #599
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
We're still missing the point of the 2nd Amendment here. It was never about hunting. Or burglars. It was about creating a country that was impossible to rule by force. In this line, arming yourself was seen as a near-duty to your country. The day a police or government force can come knocking on most doors and have little fear of what lies inside, then according to our founders, you have no real freedom.
If I lost my handgun and semi-auto rifles, and was able to protect my family from criminals/nutjobs with an acceptable taser, I'd be happy.

And while I wouldn't be capable of a platoon assault on the white house, my plethora of open sight lever actions and scope mounted bolt actions would still allow me to join the Wolverines and mount a defense against a red dawn-esque attack.

You can't really expect that average citizens can arm themselves in any comparable fashion to a real army, whether they are US or USSR. But we are still incredibly numerous as an armed civilian population. Any ground assault on America would have its hands full.

I think that satisfies what you are looking to protect with the 2nd amend.

Last edited by jerseyguy4; 12-20-2012 at 12:00 PM..