View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
milehighJC
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
"I'm on the surface; and, as I take man's last step from the surface, back home for some time to come but we believe not too long into the future I'd like to just [say] what I believe history will record. That America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return: with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."
Thanks for posting this reminder... It brings back many wonderful and treasured memories. It is truly sad that we have stepped away from exploring one of our last and greatest frontiers.

I am, and always will be a space geek. I was proud of what we accomplished, even in the face of Challenger and Columbia disasters. I would have happily stepped onto the next shuttle without question or concern. Great achievements come at a high price.

When as a species we stop exploring the unknown, we are a step closer to our collective end. Sadly, it seems we have turned on ourselves, and focused our energy on the wrong things. Instead of investing our time, energy, and resources in the next great explorational achievement, we flounder in political infighting and divisiveness - defined not by the victory of achievement but by ensuring the failure of our opponent - which is non other than... ourselves.

I know... fluffy stuff, but I do hope we will return. Soon.
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote