View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #571
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
So burglars prefer houses with gun owners, and even more, they prefer houses with gun owners when the gun owners are home?

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my life.
Enjoy reading away on your research papers. They are obviously giving you wonderful information.

You cite research paper quotes, again, as fact. This is one of the most widely debated topics in the US and the world. You can read different sides, opinions, research papers, go hear lectures, etc to your heart's content. I do not doubt that some dude from Harvard wrote what you posted. What I doubt is that you or your professor can take a bunch of statistical facts, correlate and rearrange them in a manner of your choosing, and produce the answers to gun control. It is not cut and dry, and if it was, no one would debate the issue.
Statistically speaking, burglars rob more houses with gun owners than without. It doesn't mean they prefer to rob gun owners. It means that there is no evidence to support the claim that having a gun in the house does anything to prevent burglaries on said house. There is a big difference between those two stances, and the latter disproves the theory that since I have a gun in my house, I am less likely to be robbed.

Furthermore, research shows that households that have guns are much more likely to have gun accidents. So not only are you really not protecting yourself or your family, you're actually putting them in more danger.

That was the point of the paper.

I'm not going to belabor this point any more, because it's obvious that you do not have it in you to debate honestly. You're just claiming that (for the millionth time) a peer-reviewed article published by a medical professional is bunk because you think so.

It's clear to me that you have no background in research methodology, otherwise you wouldn't be so afraid of facts and figures published and reviewed by people with far greater knowledge of a subject.

Don't be afraid of science.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote