View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #566
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
And again with my endless facts and statistics. I even provided the bibliography for you.

"Some have argued that when gun prevalence is high, there are fewer burglaries [Kopel D. The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy: Should America Adopt the Gun Controls of Other Democracies. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books; 1992.] and fewer "hot" burglaries (when someone is at home) because burglars will seek out unoccupied dwellings to avoid being shot. [Kleck G. Crime control through private use of armed forces. Soc Probl. 1988;35:121,Kleck G. Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control. Hawthrone, NY: Aldine de Gruyter; 1997.] But the evidence does not show this. An international compilation of victimization surveys in 11 developed countries found that the United States (with the most guns) was average in terms of attempted and completed burglary rates, [Mayhew P, van Dijk J. Criminal Victimization in Eleven Industrialized Countries: Key Findings From the International Crime Victimization Surveys. London, UK: Information and Publications Group; 1997.] and there was no relationship between gun prevalence and burglary rates. [Hemenway D. Private Guns Public Health. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press; 2006. ] Studies in the United States across states and counties found that in areas with higher levels of household gun ownership, there were actually more burglaries, and there were more burglaries when someone was at home, not less. [Duggan M. More guns more crime. J Polit Econ. 2001;109:10861114,Cook P, Ludwig J. Guns and burglary. In: Ludwig J, Cook P, eds. Evaluating Gun Policy. Washington, DC: Brookings Institute; 2003:74107.] One reason may be that guns, like cash and jewelry, are attractive loot for burglars, and burglars may target houses with many guns."

Just out of curiosity...do you have a college degree? Do you know what the difference is between peer-reviewed scientific research and a Wikipedia article is? Bonus question: Is Nate Silver a witch and the Anti-Christ?
So burglars prefer houses with gun owners, and even more, they prefer houses with gun owners when the gun owners are home?

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my life.
Enjoy reading away on your research papers. They are obviously giving you wonderful information.

You cite research paper quotes, again, as fact. This is one of the most widely debated topics in the US and the world. You can read different sides, opinions, research papers, go hear lectures, etc to your heart's content. I do not doubt that some dude from Harvard wrote what you posted. What I doubt is that you or your professor can take a bunch of statistical facts, correlate and rearrange them in a manner of your choosing, and produce the answers to gun control. It is not cut and dry, and if it was, no one would debate the issue.