View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #405
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
They only seem despicable because people aren't informed and are subject to emotional decisions on something requiring extensive study and reasoning. I understand the simple impulse of "someone shot people so let's ban guns," but the theory of gun control and data backing up said theory isn't convincing.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

I understand the feeling, I do. It makes me sick to my core what happened yesterday, and if I believed banning guns would prevent those types of things from ever happening again, I would be all for it (constitutional liberties aside). But I don't think banning guns will do anything except exacerbate the problem. Society's ills have been misdiagnosed, and the cheap treatment of gun control that might make us feel better in the short-term only lets us get sicker.
Looks interesting, will give it a read sometime tomorrow as it's 4.30am here and I can barely read two sentences. I know that no one wants gun crime or events like yesterday to happen, but it'd be tragic if people admitted defeat to it and accepted the problem as being a norm.

I'm off to bed.