View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #99
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Let me address the DE position that some would like to replace/upgrade..
In our scheme, the SDE needs to set the edge for Miller, push the pocket, and generate pressure of his own..

Next season Hunter should be resigned, which will probably be very reasonable after missing the season. By all accounts he was crushing it in camp and would have been the starter.. We bring him back and chances are Wolfe plays DT.
That means Ayers is Dooms back-up. He's still under contract and has played well in rotation. Jackson is the back up at strong side..

So why are we upgrading anything when these players will be under contract and are great in their roles? Dooms deal gets more cap friendly moving forward..
I was under the impression the final year of Ayers' contract had voided. Not sure exactly where I got that from, but that's what I believe to be the case. If that is wrong, then we can put off drafting Dumervil's backup for another year.

If we assume Wolfe moves inside, than we need to find a DE that can play effectively as a 5 tech. I'm not sure Jason Hunter fits that role, Robert Ayers is pretty stout against the run as well, and he wasn't even considered. Maybe it can just be Malik Jackson.

We've been really successful this year though. Del Rio may re-think his previous plans concerning Wolfe and just leave him outside moving forward. Which would bring us back to drafting a penetrating DT.

We could easily go either direction.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote