View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #35
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
This is the second mass shooting THIS FREAKING WEEK. There have been three of these in the last six months.

Something is clearly and unbelievably wrong. We're shooting up elementary schools now for crying out loud. Yes it was a crazy person, but you seriously don't think external cultural influences..you know, influence people?

The problem with the Marilyn Manson connection is that it's placing the blame on a specific figure. No one person is the problem, our collective obsession with violence is.

Ultimately the gunman is responsible but that and a nickel will net you a nickel and a bunch of dead kids. Until Americans accept that we've culturally gone way off the rails, this crap will keep happening.

I've lived and travelled extensively outside of this country. These incidents are extremely rare in Europe (where I have the most experience). Yes they do happen (see Norway), but one in the last decade is a pretty good track record compared to the madness we have.

Are we as Americans just more mentally unstable? Are we worse people? Or is there a cultural difference that keeps their crazy people from killing as many people as possible on a regular basis? Is it access to guns (which in Europe is pretty much non-existent)?

My wife works in a setting well known for it's issues with these types of shooting, and there isn't a day that goes by I don't worry about one of the idiots she deals with coming in and pointing that gun at her.
I agree we've culturally gone way off the rails, but banning guns won't address that. it's like treating cancer with a band-aid. external events undoubtably influence people, but I find it foolhardy to think human beings have much control over those. we can't whitewash society. we can't whitewash existence. angst, trials, mishaps, and catastrophes are part of life, and the question should focus more on the proper means to grapple with that. society isn't about grappling with hard questions nowadays, tho: it's about instant-gratification and fun-fixes and feeling good in the moment. give that enough time, and **** like this happens.

I know Switzerland and Austria mandate gun ownership for their of-age males. something to do with getting blitzkrieged back in the 30's.