View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #85
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Well when you say stuff like They're turning the tables on us and trying to beat us like we beat the Soviets and they're "winning" there's a whole lot of gaps one needs to fill in to get there.

A lot of the China paranoia today is ridiculously unfounded. Like back in the 80s when everyone thought Japan was going to rule the world.
I agree there is paranoia, but not about what China is doing economically. They don't have an interest in physical conflict with us. When I say they are trying to turn the tables on us, I mean they are trying to beat us not with force but with economic warfare.

They are currently "winning" because not because they are ahead of us, but because they have their eyes on the long game and we're stuck in the past. They're investing in themselves and their future whereas we are sending money to them for cheap trinkets (to the tune of $300bn a year in trade deficit) and throwing money away on weapons that will most likely never see the battlefield they are intended for, because that battlefield no longer exists (not just my opinion, see the comments from Powell et al earlier in the thread).

Without serious reforms, they will eventually tumble due to the communistic core of their economy, but that doesn't mean they won't take us down with them.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote