Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Let me get this straight. You think all NFL teams dedicate the same exact amount of practice time and resources to forcing fumbles, and the Patriots are just "lucky"?

Even you could agree that your claim is not competitively nor mathematically possible. The same as it's not possible for every team to spend the same exact amount of time in redzone situations, or defending the hurry-up run game.

IAOFM.com claims that recovering fumbles is pure dumb luck, I contend that it's not. If it was, the story would not have came out that the Broncos began to practice "scooping" fumbles before the Raider game (no reason to practice if it's pure dumb luck right?).

Likewise, forcing fumbles, is also not just pure dumb luck, otherwise teams would not practice forcing fumbles. Belicheat plays the law of averages (that's why he defers kickoffs at the start of games), and that's why he devotes so much practice time to forcing fumbles.
What I'm saying is that coaching up defensive players to strip the ball is common practice, that is, every team coaches this stuff in one way or another. If Bellichick devotes more time to this than other teams ok fine. Is Bellichick coaching a strip technique that no one else knows about? I doubt it. As Kaylor said, forcing fumbles is not dumb luck and yes, some teams are better at it than others. However recovering said fumble is another issue dependent on random factors.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote