View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #198
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Wow, cool stats. Let's start with this one. Well, I'd hate to point out the obvious difference here, but well, here we go: McGahee was over 30 when he got to Denver. And, you arguing via statistics, naturally limited the years there so as to avoid showing Moreno's lost season. Regardless, you know exactly what I meant: Moreno took himself out of games. This is arguably the biggest reason he couldn't cut it and why he got demoted. He would get the rock, two-three times, limp off the field for a couple plays, and then come back on. Also, these stats are completely wrong.

No it ain't. Do not even begin to pretend that Moreno is anywhere near McGahee's level. This kind of blind apologism is ridiculous. Knowshon Moreno was benched and replaced by the youngest player in the entire NFL for a reason, and you wanna act like these two players are even close in production, talent, and everything else? Seriously? McGahee is a workhorse back who gets a lot of touches. Moreno's a scatback who takes five whenever he can. Huge difference.

If stats were everything Moreno would not have been benched (not just this year, but the past years, too). So cling to those stats all you want, but they don't represent reality. The coaches, and really anybody who actually watched the games, saw what was on the field and judged accordingly.
Sorry, Stats are the only quantifiable way to measure players....it is the only way to come close to taking personal bias out of the equation. Since you are refusing to look at the evidence, it is up to me to point out numbers. I don't do it to being WM down, I do it to bring a little reality to the Moreno bashing.

Since age is now the stat you wish to use, we can always go that route.

Moreno's first 2 seasons:
275 touches 4.2 yards per touch 1160 total yards
219 touches 5.3 yards per touch 1151 total yards

McGahee's first 2 seasons:
306 touches 4.2 YPT 1297 total yards
353 touches 4 YPT 1425 Total yards

Mcgahee has an edge in total yards (and 1 more TD over those 2 seasons). Note that he also had more opportunities. Keeping their effectiveness per touch and reversing how many times they were given opportunities it looks like this:

Moreno:
1285 total yards
1871 total yards

MCGahee:
1160 total yards
876 total yards

So statistically the players were equally as effective on a per play basis as rookies, but Moreno was actually far more productive per touch in their second years. This of course doesn't take total team differences, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team in worse shape from a coaching perspective than Denver in Moreno's first two seasons (Buff may be close though).

So at the same age....the players were comparable. Yet I keep seeing that Moreno is an ineffective ballerina, or no-show, or slowshon. You wanna be concerned with his completely exaggerated injury history? Well I'm not going to count how often Moreno gets up slowly in a game, but I'm confident it's not much more than most RB's. The facts remain, when Moreno gets the ball, he has been every bit as productive.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote