View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #64
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
... Manning seems to not get his accuracy down until he has had about a quarter of action. I believe that is at least part of the reason we have so many slow starts, and why we have turned the ball over so much ( usually in the first half). Most of Mannings picks have been 1st quarter. When the D can't get the other team off the field early on Manning tends to check down more also. His pressing early is a bad thing, since it usually leads to a 3 and out, early in games.
I think it may be due to three factors. First, he's still in the process of developing rapport with his receivers. Timing is such a huge issue in this kind of offense. As the game goes on, they tend to get into more of a routine. Second - and especially after the first quarter Atlanta debacle in week 2 - I think he naturally plays a little more conservatively early in the game, probing the D and seeing how they react, in order to set up bigger plays later on. Third, for whatever reason, this offense looks much more effective when they go into hurry-up mode and they usually wait at least a quarter before picking up that pace.

It's frustrating, because the defense is much more effective when they can T-off with a lead.

On the other hand, I'm not going to complain too much about a top-five offense and a team that's on a six-game winning streak.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote