Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Formation: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB
Defense: 2 down linemen, 2 LB, 4 at the LOS and only 1 LB behind the LOS

Ronnie lines up behind Manning on what looks like should be a favorable matchup for the OLine and for a running play.

It's a running play and Hillman gets the handoff. This is what he sees when he gets the ball. As you can see the line is pretty scrambled.

The line doesn't give up much and this is Hillman approaching the LOS. There is an unblocked DB coming in and Ronnie decides to cut back in.

Ronnie Hillman cuts in.

Hillman is able to find a small crease inside the DB and use his momentum to get a 1 yard run. He is tackled by the DB.

Again, there wasn't much here on the play. You can say he could have tried to juke the DB and bounce out but that probably wouldn't be successful as the DB was running in with good technique. The play was obviously designed to go inside as most our running plays are.
Hillman should have followed the pulling guard, #68 Beadles, and bounced this running play outside, to the short side of the field. That would have been an easy 5 yards if not a whole lot more. Instead, he cuts it back up into the inside of Beadles for no gain.

I'm pretty sure Hillman was coached up to cut inside on this play since it is being run to the shortside of the field. The problem is he does not yet have the vision to see the opening to the outside. Hopefull his vision will develop with time but right now I think all he wants to do is do exactly what the coaches tell him to do, and run the play exactly the way it was designed. JMHO but that's what it looks like to me.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 11-27-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote