View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Late to this conversation and perhaps everyone is already well past this but in my opinion the Referee made the wrong call on the review.

No where else on the field would that have been ruled a catch. The receiver did "go to the ground" in the process of catching the ball (and this note indicates it is regardless of whether contact was made or not). In that case, possession or "determination of a catch" cannot be made without the application of the requirement that the receiver "must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground". And, the note goes on to state "whether in the field of play or the end zone".

The referee used the "complete a move normal to the game", but ignored fact that if they go to the ground, that note does not lose it's effect and must also be applied.

Does the NFL publish a "right, wrong, etc.." on calls each week? If they do I'm positive this will be noted as the wrong call.

There was good debate on this yesterday. Some of it was with people who clearly dont understand the rules but there were some that do who chimed in. Your take was often flamed pretty hard, but mostly in error.

What is basically boils down to is whether or not he established possession before going to the ground. I posted it before but the key part of 8.1.3 is 'if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass, he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground.' The question is was he going to the ground in the act of catching the pass or had he caught the ball and established possession before going to the ground?

The refs ruled his turn and lunge to the goalline was his football move after establishing possession.

I agree with you that there is a case to be made that he was going to the ground in the act of catching the pass... If so, it should be in complete.

Hope to hear more about this from the league this week

Last edited by Jekyll15Hyde; 11-19-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote