View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Not ever did I question whether the ball was determined to be a catch prior to crossing the goalline I have questioned whether it is a catch as determined by the NFL catch rule (possessing the ball by "completing the process"), which he did not, and I have also questioned whether crossing the plain of the goalline trumps the NFL catch rule (which some on this board claim is true) but I have not seen any language in the NFL rulebook stating that possession of the ball crossing the goalline trumps the NFL catch rule.
i don't understand the distinction you have in your mind...you ARE questioning whether the catch was made prior to crossing the goal line, because that is the only question that matters... the determination of a completed catch is always based on "completing the process," so what matters here is whether that "process" was complete prior to crossing the goal line or not. If so, TD, if not, incomplete due to ball coming loose upon going to the ground...that determination is exactly what the referees SAID that they made after review. It seems that you disagree with their assessment that the process was complete. That's fine, of course, but I don't understand what you are trying to drive at with the rulebook interpretation.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote