11-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,
Join Date: Jan 2003
I'll chime in...
All supply, storage, depot, transport, should be maximally contractor with uniformed personnel shooting rifles and on up to nukes. No contractors with guns. if they want to join the guard/reserves fine, but not for blackwater.
Originally Posted by Odysseus
1. Our staggering wealth as a nation is based no trade. The bases that we have opened globally has created jobs globally, stability, infrastructure, and is a source of cash flow to our nation. The problem with closing the bases is military industrial complex...you know...the guys who brought you the last few wars...would have a hard time walking away from the money made aspect. What has happened in "scaling back" is more mega bases.
we need to have a few (20 or fewer) permanent strategic bases around the world as launching points. not the hundreds we now have.
2. We should reward corporations for R&D instead of the military. This needs to be real R&D judged by an impartial committee and not military or corporate lobbyists. No more short term solutions. No more A-B chess playing. Military research is created through corporate dollars. Why not go straight to the source?
the amount of money we currently put into IR&D for companies is already obscene. any nitwit who says he can kill more with less gets funded. R&D is a special "black hole" into which money drains and needs to be very carefully monitored.
3. Military needs to completely restructured. There needs to be one military, less fiefdoms, cleaned up accounting, and unified logistics. They need to rebuild the NCO core and get leaders in leadership roles and let the sheep manage desks. The military needs to be fast, effective, and decisive. Do not call on fighting men to do police work.
you've identified many issues here. all are valid to a degree. one of the overarching problems with both the officer and nco corps is the up or out philosophy. it winnows those who want to stay from those who should stay efficiently, but at the expense of fostering a careerist-political-avoid mistakes mentality. hence some, but not most, make it to the flag rank who shouldn't.
4. NATO is the world police. This needs to be made clear and unforced. You want American support? Put your money in NATO.
I like this idea alot. our troops are only to be used for WARFARE not police actions nor diplomacy. asking 20 yr olds to police Afghan towns and act as diplomats is idiotic.
5. Peace in the middle east became our concern when Nixon made several agreements making that so. We are so in bed with Israel that any separation would cost us desperately. As long as Israel is threatened, we have fiat currency, and there is oil in the middle east we have a business and national security reason to be there.
Oil (energy) is one of our two achilles heels (the other our monetary system). until we radically fix these two we our strategically imperiled.
6. Military standards need to be revised and both the NCO core and Officer core values need to reviewed. Our standards have slipped as we have allowed corruption to taint how a soldier commits to his craft. A soldier is not a statesman. We need to send all our soldiers through Ranger training who want to attend and from these select the ones who can become inducted as Ranger's based on objective evaluation instead of numbers.
Agree. see my point above. however, in western society today we are struggling with monogamy and polygamy (in practice). judeo christian sanctions do not correspond with growing patterns of acceptable behavior. maybe if we went back in time to adopt the Spartan homosexual standard things would be simpler. kick all the heteros out, and stuff like Betrayus wouldn't happen.
7. Rebuild Special Forces. We need more experienced soldiers here and instead of allowing them to be contractors increase pay, benefits, and treat this as a profession rather than allowing our best to become mercenary. This is our primary fighting force in the future. Nobody is going to fight us with Big Army anymore.
Agree. All Army should be trained to Marine standards. All Marines should be trained to SEAL standards. Navy and Air Force rely on skills with big weapons not handheld, and need fighting spirit skills more than physical skills. Case in point: Taffey 3, Battle of Leyte Gulf.
8. Army needs to be more flexible. We have too many soldiers in the wrong jobs. Get the gun bunnies out on the road and get the storage clerks back to counting supplies.