Lots and lots of reasons he deserves serious consideration ... I posted this a week or two ago in the mid-season awards thread:
I have a mid-season projection, NFL Executive of the Year:
. . . JOHN ELWAY
- Elway's calm, no-drama management style was fresh air for a shell-shocked team that just hit rock-bottom
- A franchise-record 12 losses the year before he took over, now on the brink of 2 Division Titles in 2 years
- Elway's first-ever draft pick was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
- His two rookie classes have produced 5 starters and 13 regulars, including NINE on the defensive 2-deep depth chart
- Out-maneuvered a dozen veteran GMs to acquire FA-of-the-Decade Peyton Manning. Nothing genius about the signing, but Manning cited John and his respect for the game at the top of his list of reasons why he choose Denver.
- Lured NFL Asst Coach of the Year candidate Jack Del Rio to become team's 7th D-Coordinator in 7 years. Next to Manning, Del Rio might be the most important move of the off-season. If John can keep him in place next year, he might earn back-to-back Awards.