Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #108
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Before I posted, I specifically looked at the roster differences. Some of the players you mentioned were players on the edge that were not key players in the SB years. You neglected to bring up people like Romanowski, Neil, Tony Jones, Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Darrien Gordon, Howard Griffith, Mark Schlereth, Keith Traylor, Ed McCaffrey ---- all significant starters - 10 starters you are giving no credit to Shanahan for bringing in. Your post has some good points but is it is significantly understated.

Additionally, look at the players that were starters on the 1994 team that were not around in 1997. There was an ejection of some real age in those 3 years. Compare the depth of talent that allowed the team get past injuries - another significant improvement.

I never inferred that the 1994 Broncos had the talent of the current Chiefs. They were an aging team in key areas that needed significant infusion. All the players I mentioned above added a great deal of talent over the equivalent 1994 starters at their position. I give Mike the credit for that.
Absolutely. Basically, what Shanny inherited was an 7-9, 8-8 team (which he got out of them in 1995). Then he started upgrading the roster as you said to go along with the 10 starters he inherited from 1994, and made great FA choices of older vets that he managed to get 2-3-4 more years of good production out of. At the time I was thinking, "These dudes are over the hill." But he made it work, that was a heck of a run 96-98.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote