Thread: Election Day!
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #616
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
For all of our sakes I hope and pray the GOP isn't in as much denial as you, and many of its punditry, clearly are. The party needs to moderate and support a platform that these growing demographics can support. And nobody said anything about a "super-mandate".
What serious candidate was more "moderate" than McCain was in 2008?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18664285

Quote:
Conservatives were never wild over McCain, and that goes back to his battles with George W. Bush in the 2000 primaries, his scathing criticism ("agents of intolerance") aimed at Christian conservative leaders, and his championing of overhauling the campaign finance system. McCain also voted against the Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 (although now he says he wants to make them permanent), and he opposed amending the Constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage.
It's a fools' gold game the left likes to play. I remember many of the "independent" people I knew used to talk about (during the Bush years) about how they wished McCain had won the nomination in 2000, so then they could've supported him. Then McCain won, and they had all sorts of excuses why they now wouldn't support him. Even though he hadn't fundamentally changed on anything.

Romney had the same essential base problem as McCain because of his governing years in Mass. I didn't hold it against him so much because I'm mostly pragmatic and I understood that being governor of Massachusetts is a different game than say Florida. But in the end, Romney still lost because his base shrunk. I'm not 100% sure why. But they didn't switch sides. They just didn't vote. That much can't be argued.