Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #99
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
When Wade Phillips left Denver the talent level OVERALL on the team was not that good from the OL, WR, LB, RB, DL & special teams. I distinctly remember thinking that John Elway would never return to the SB, much less win it before he retired. Compare the quality of the roster/depth between 1994 and 1997. In my opinion, Shanahan performed somewhat of a miracle in a short time shoring up the roster.

I am not a supporter of what Shanahan did past the Superbowl years and he did leave too late. I think ego was his biggest enemy in the GM role, relating to the players and to the fans. I think he no longer motivates players.

I think too many people have a short memory of what the Broncos looked like at the end of 1994 and no longer give Shanahan the credit he REALLY deserved when he first took over. The last 10 years have diminished peoples opinion of Mike.
This is the best post on the Shanahan era I have read on the OM. You are 100% correct sir. IMO

It is Mike Shanahan that we need to credit more than anyone else for bringing two Super Bowls to Denver.

After the SB I think Mike slowly started to believe his own press and over the following seasons devolved into the 'little man upstairs'. Sad but true.

Last edited by baja; 11-06-2012 at 07:42 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote