View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #98
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
He had great talent in a bunch of HOF players and near HOF guys. During those first years. Couple that with a running scheme taught by a master of it, in Gibbs made them almost unbeatable.

But once those HF players retired or moved on we were reduced to a great O between the 20's with an occasional TD and loads of FG's.

Our defense was never great merely capitalistic and spent little time playing from behind. Almost always had a 2-4 TD lead to protect. And even then many games were not won with a killer instinct, But merely holding on..

There were a lot of nail biters that should not have been. Few games won going away.

Mikey believed that early success with UF agency would continue but everyone learned from his aquirring a few good men to go with his HOF players that were in place when he got back here.

Yet as great as they were lots of close games. And later on lots of trap game loses.
When Wade Phillips left Denver the talent level OVERALL on the team was not that good from the OL, WR, LB, RB, DL & special teams. I distinctly remember thinking that John Elway would never return to the SB, much less win it before he retired. Compare the quality of the roster/depth between 1994 and 1997. In my opinion, Shanahan performed somewhat of a miracle in a short time shoring up the roster.

I am not a supporter of what Shanahan did past the Superbowl years and he did leave too late. I think ego was his biggest enemy in the GM role, relating to the players and to the fans. I think he no longer motivates players.

I think too many people have a short memory of what the Broncos looked like at the end of 1994 and no longer give Shanahan the credit he REALLY deserved when he first took over. The last 10 years have diminished peoples opinion of Mike.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote