View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #149
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
May not make a difference but it seems the linebackers are playing much better as a unit being coached by Del Rio than they did with Allen. Im not sure if its scheme or something else but, I am curious to see how DJ would do also.

I assume he wont make much of a contribution until playoff time considering how long he has been gone.
I think JDR has gone a great job of isolating the LBers strengths and using them instead of forcing them into positions they are weak in.

For example: Take Nate Irving. His basic weakeness is that he can't move/negotiate through traffic/blockers and as a Mike that's a big problem. So instead of just having him on the bench and not contributing, he's been shifted over to the strong side LBer (backing up Von) so he's out in space on the edge where his weakeness isn't exposed and he can flow to the ball carrier.

Same with Trevathan who's got good short area burst and is a sound tackler. He's being used to come in on the weakside when Woodyard shifts inside and is playing with an outside angle trying to funnel guys into the middle.

But there in lies the weakeness of our LBers. Every single team that can run a no huddle, quick tempo offense forces us to stay in our base D with brooking on the field (in which case they can go pass heavy) or if we shift to nickel, then the no huddle offense goes run heavy and it's not easy to sub LBers in and out in that case.

THAT'S why I want DJ on the field. Especially in the playoffs, you know we'll go up against no huddle, potent offenses that will exploit this weakness and the ONLY way to counter that is to have an effective base package that's strong against the run (DJ is stouter, stronger than Brooking), and still be effective against pass heavy no huddle (Brooking can't cover, and DJ is much better here again).

It really is as simple as that.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-01-2012 at 05:44 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote