Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #76
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
The first two are the real issues IMO.

1. Teams have figured out Norv's offense here, especially in the red zone.

2. The o-line is arguably the worst in the league, especially when Gaither is out, which seems like every other week now.

3. Meachem is just not working out here. I thought he'd be a poor man's Vincent Jackson but it's just not the case. Rivers and Meachum are not even close to being on the same page.

4. Gates looked like the Gates of old in pre-season but not sure what's happened to him since. He's supposedly healthy and lighter than he's been for a long time now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take my 'chill pill' and not voice my opinion anymore. The Chargers will appreciate that.
I think there are several elements to it, Rivers was best when he had a strong offensive line a good run game which would give him time in the pocket and force the defense to move up a safety. Rivers is not good with pressure in his face, and I think people have worked that out and have been consistently attacking the weak interior offensive line to make Rivers uncomfortable.

Lacking Sproles/Tomlinson to keep the linebackers honest and Gates having regressed significantly, he is just getting open the way he used to, the Chargers offense really doesn't have any way of punishing linebackers who drop into zone coverage.

Jackson brought an element to the Chargers offense that they just don't have anymore the deep ball, he was a big target with speed who could win a lot of 1 v 1 situations down the field either by pure speed or by outjumping a defender. Rivers throws a good deep ball but he needs a target and Meachem just isn't that guy.

The regression of Rivers can be traced back to the playcalling of Norv Turner and the overall loss of talent on the offense caused by poor front office decisions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote