View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #33
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
This is correct. Unfortunately most people have a very uninformed idea about seizures, expecting them to all be the same and to resemble Linda Blair in the exorcist or something.

Funny story (but only because I have a warped sense of humor). A recent tragedy in our office started getting people discussing being prepared for different medical issues that could occur at work. I mentioned having a seizure disorder. So the guy asks me, do you carry a pencil around with you all the time? (I know where he was going, but being me I had to be a smartass, "Why, is this so I can write "Seize the day? when I seize" He was like so you don't choke on your tongue or bite it off. For the record this is an urban myth. People cannot bite off their own tongue. I have bitten down on my tongue and bruised it, but still have it. In fact, it is highly recommended not to stick anything in someone's mouth who is seizing. They will come out of it, it's just a bit disconcerting to watch sometimes. Best thing I tell them is to clear the area around me so I don't fall into anything and if possible if I am on the ground put me on my side in a recovery position so the tongue naturally falls down to keep my air passage open. No forcing of things in my mouth. It's idiotic. People don't understand it and assume all seizures are the same. They are not. Sometimes I just freeze and space out and other times I do have grand mal seizures where I twitch and vomit (yes a little bit exorcist). I haven't had a day time seizure in 5 years. The last seizure I had was at night while I slept and I only knew from the bruising on my tongue in the morning I'd had one. I've seen other people's seizures and most I've seen are rather mild, zoning out and not knowing where they are. Lots of good medicines to control them now and some with fewer side effects then previous ones I took.

As for CO laws on the subject, when I was there, they had no restrictions on driving and no reporting requirements, but this is a state by state thing. Arizona used to have a year restriction after a seizure, but reduced it to 3 months. England has a reporting requirement and they have a 6 month loss of driving for night time seizures and 1 year for daytime. blinking lights/strobe lights do not induce mine, but they do effect others. I just need to sleep and take my meds and I am fine.

Porter sounds like he has pretty mild case and once they sort out a treatment he will be fine. I see no reason to prevent him playing, but that's up to him and his doctor, not a bunch of armchair doctors. I wish the guy well.

Sorry I rambled. I get very irritated by people who presume to understand it when they probably don't. It sucks to have it, but it's no worse than Cutler having Diabetes.
Same here Miss. I. I just don't tell people because I've been fortunate enough to have not had one since 2008 and the only reason I had them then was because a doctor decided to use me as a guinea pig for dosage variations. But mine involve lack of sleep so I'm not too worried on any given day.

With that said, unless these seizures of his are due to actual brain damage from an accident or concussion, then there is no reason to worry and he should be fine.