View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well, Im not going to argue much because its all opinion but I will clarify. I didnt mean to say The Dark Knight was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance. It was a good story, script with all around good casting (save the chic who sucked). It was a good all around movie, Heath Ledger's performance as Joker made it a GREAT movie.

I dont dismiss the character of Bruce Wayne, he is who he is and the reason for why he is the way he is, is sound. And in the comics, Bruce is a much more relatable person IMO but in the movies, all of them, well I dont know, I dont hink anyone has really done it well (Keaton was probably the best as Batman even though the movies weren't nearly as good).

BTW
Children of Men was the worst movie I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Well, we will have to agree to disagree there. I'll admit I felt it was the weakest of the Nolan Trilogy, but I felt it did a great job of introducing the character and actually letting him drive his own film for once.

I would argue, that the performances of Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, and Gary Oldman largely contributed to the film's success. Not to mention the script, directing, cinematography, ect. One lone actor giving it his all does not a quality film make.

Yes, Batman conforms to the classic Stoic Archetype. That's not everyone's cup of tea. But to dismiss the value of the character simply because he does not conform to your preferences is a mistake.

Here is one thing we can definitely agree on. Following the success of the recent Batman and James Bond films, I've seen far too many executives convinced that they need to make their own property "darker and grittier". Thankfully, this trend peaked before we ended up with a He-Man movie featuring Daniel Day-Lewis brutally and joylessly carving through the cast of the Departed in left-over sets from Children of Men. Some concepts are just fun and crazy and you need to embrace that aspect of them in the tone.

Cheadle > Terrance. But, for reasons beyond his control (Direction, Script, ect) he added absolutely nothing to the role over Terrance. Sorry, even the great ones deliver duds. And once again, I get that you like Stark better than Wayne. He's Barney Stinson with a bigger budget and a collection of suits that opt for firepower over style. Of course he is awesome.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote