View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #32
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Batman Begins was stupid.
Well, we will have to agree to disagree there. I'll admit I felt it was the weakest of the Nolan Trilogy, but I felt it did a great job of introducing the character and actually letting him drive his own film for once.

Quote:
Dark Knight was terrific but really, it was only great because of Heath Ledger's performance.
I would argue, that the performances of Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart, and Gary Oldman largely contributed to the film's success. Not to mention the script, directing, cinematography, ect. One lone actor giving it his all does not a quality film make.

Quote:
The Batman movies fatal flaw is, Batman sucks as a character. He's a borish brooding fellow full of self loathing and self pity.
Yes, Batman conforms to the classic Stoic Archetype. That's not everyone's cup of tea. But to dismiss the value of the character simply because he does not conform to your preferences is a mistake.

Quote:
Being dark doesn't make it a better movie, it makes it a different kind of movie. I have yet to see the new Batman (but want to!) so I cannot comment on it.
Here is one thing we can definitely agree on. Following the success of the recent Batman and James Bond films, I've seen far too many executives convinced that they need to make their own property "darker and grittier". Thankfully, this trend peaked before we ended up with a He-Man movie featuring Daniel Day-Lewis brutally and joylessly carving through the cast of the Departed in left-over sets from Children of Men. Some concepts are just fun and crazy and you need to embrace that aspect of them in the tone.

Quote:
Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 1 for a variety of reasons. Namely, better actors (Don Cheadle > Terrance whatever his name is, and Mickey Rourke rules). I like Tony Stark's character infinitely more than I like Bruce Wayne. Both being rich, one is awesome and the other isn't

Cheadle > Terrance. But, for reasons beyond his control (Direction, Script, ect) he added absolutely nothing to the role over Terrance. Sorry, even the great ones deliver duds. And once again, I get that you like Stark better than Wayne. He's Barney Stinson with a bigger budget and a collection of suits that opt for firepower over style. Of course he is awesome.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote