Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #89
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
People are aware that the players that get in on special teams while on an 80 man roster are worse than the players that actually make the 53 man roster and play special teams in the regular season, right?

Difference without a distinction, IMO. Whether they have 1st/2nd teamers or not, there are many players who are playing kick coverage that will not make an NFL roster, not to mention the huge gap in intensity for the 'regulars' in preseason. All I'm saying is that this guy did all his damage largely against those guys, not active, regular season rosters. Is that incorrect?

I hope he works out in denver but basically, he's just a guy at this point.
I'm not going to do a ton of work to answer this. But here's a 5 minute effort:

The first play of that highlight video that was posted here is a kickoff return against the panthers.

These are the players whose numbers are clearly visible:

57 - Jordan Senn
41 - Captain Munnerlyn
35 - Mike Tolbert
27 - not currently worn by anyone on the roster
6 - Justin Medlock
81 - Kealoha Pilares

Are those top-line guys? No. (except the kicker). But all but one of them are on the active regular season roster. Presumably these guys are also playing special teams.

If you're going to be a dick about this and assume that every special teams player on the field in a preseason game is a scrub who wouldn't/didn't make the 53 man roster, then when I get home tonight, I'll go watch the tape of this return (rather than a highlight video) and figure out exactly who is on the field. I can then look at a couple of regular season Panthers kickoffs and see how the squads compare.

But I really don't want to waste my time.

At a basic level: are there guys on the field in these plays who didn't make the 53 man roster? Yes. There are multiple people competing for these spots, most of them got to see the field at some point or another. But to say that everyone on pre-season special teams squads is a scrub who couldn't/didn't make the regular season roster is absurd. For most of these guys, their only shot at making the squad is by playing special teams. To say that they are playing with a lesser 'intensity' when they are literally fighting for their livelihoods is either ignorant or intentionally disingenuous.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote