View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #170
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This is the fallacy. Manning has improved the QB position, and the passing game immensely, but not the team. The no-huddle offense looks flashy and his numbers are great, but that style exposes a suspect defense to more time on the field and exposes the team's weaknesses.

We've gone from the #1 rushing offense in the NFL to #17. At 2-3 it's hardly possible to say that this TEAM is better than it was under Tebow who had an 8-5 record as a starter here. Tebow's ugly, slogging style was effective in protecting a weak defensive unit.

It's hard to judge the 2012 team at this point because they'll hopefully continue to improve, but at this point they're clearly not able to hang with the cream of the NFL crop. Yes the passing game is much better, but where we are right now you can't say this is a better team than last year's.
Very good summary, these are my thoughts exactly as well. I think overall the defense is a bit worse off with the drunk in suspension, losing Dawkins and others, but this unit is definitely not up to the task of the style that Manning plays. We have such little talent on the defensive side of the ball, Tebow's style hid the defensive deficiencies we had last year.

I think what most people don't get here is that it's not a Manning versus Tebow debate, it's that the FO pretty much ignored most other needs this team has had for the last five years and sold the farm for a big name FA.

Where this season ends is anyone's guess, but it's starting to look like a push from last year which is disappointing.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote