View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Champ Bailey Appreciation Thread

Started with Bill Belichick.

Champ Bailey draws big praise from Patriots coach Bill Belichick

Ill let you just read Belichicks answer to a question about Bailey for yourself, because the usually terse coach was quite expansive:

I would start by just saying with Champ, to me hes one of the few corners in the league that really can match up against anybody. He matches up against the Andre Johnsons of the world, the big, strong, physical, fast guys. Then hell match up against quick, real good route running, quick receivers, guys like that too. [It] doesnt really make any difference. You can watch him match up against whoever they want to put him on, whether its Mike Wallace or whether its Calvin Johnson, through the years; Im not just talking about this year. At times, hes been on tight ends, like when he would be on [Tony] Gonzalez back in the day and things like that.

Belichick continued:

So, I think hes really capable of being physical and standing in there and banging with the big guys. Hes got enough quickness and length with the little guys to match their quickness and give them a problem and stay with them, or if he gets his hands on them and jams them, he can destroy the route right off the bat. Hes a very instinctive player, so he has a good sense of what the guy is trying to do and what their tendencies are and things like that. Hes on a lot of routes just because hes experienced and hes smart. I think he can cover, Id say there arent too many corners in the league it would be hard to think of who the next one would be who like him could match up as well against any type of receiver. Some guys do well against some type of players and have a little trouble with another type of guy.

And continued:

It looks like to me like he does a pretty good job against anybody on whoever the other teams best receiver is, if they want to match him up, which sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. They dont always match him but at times they will. He can match them or not match them or he can take whoever comes out and do a pretty good job with it. Man, zone, hes a good Cover-2 corner, hes a good one-on-one corner, hes a good zone corner, tackles well, hes a good run-force corner, hes pretty much a prototype corner in terms of having a full set of skills, does everything well, plays the ball well, very good hands, but hes a strong tackler and a good run-force player too.

Link: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...lichick/16168/
Sponsored Links