View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #941
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'm a big Jim Leyland fan, as he grew up in NW Ohio a few miles from where I grew up and live now.

I'd like to see him come back for another year, but I wonder if after so long, the same message gets stale.

I'd love nothing more than to see him win a World Series in Detroit.

If they make the playoffs this season, he deserves another year, and if he doesn't get it done after that, I think they will make a switch.

I also remember the 12 losing seasons in a row before he took over.

Mike Ilitch has spent a lot of money and wants a World Series ring.
That's just about where I'm at. I've always been pretty impressed with him as a manager going back to the Marlins.

Seeing him win one would be awesome, and he's a big baby and so am I, so if they do win one with him, he's going to start crying, then I'm going to remember 2003 and I'm going to start crying too.

Next year they have Victor Martinez coming back. My brother and I were talking about the prospectus for 2013, and it looks pretty good as well. I don't know where contracts stand or anything like that, but middle relief and relief in general needs some attention. Offense looks about as solid as you can get; I think their only weakness may be the corners of the OF on both offense and defense, but V-Mart probably gets moved to DH, which puts Dirks, Young and Boesch in more of a position to play every day. Time will tell if Berry is ready over the long term, though it's hard to pass off his contribution this season so far as a fluke.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote