Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I thought some of the Russian leagues paid pretty well. At least a European league would generate more interest on an all inclusive base. The NHLs obsession with southern markets is ridiculous. Two teams in Florida? 06' cup finals I was at the RBC center for the first Edmonton game, and after Edmonton scored I heard a guy behind me scream " kill em dead"; that's southern Hockey fans. The overall fan base has grown exceptionally well in Raleigh, but it's still a struggling market. Peter Karmanos and Jim Rutheford had a self imposed cap 10 million below the cap until this year, because the Canes couldn't afford to be competitive in the free agent market. At least you could find a base of Hockey interested markets in Europe, and build off of what is already in place. So far every NHL game played in Europe has been sold out. Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweeden, Switzerland, and The Chech Republic are all primed for the foundation of a Eurocentric hockey league.
It'd be pretty cool if the NHL could do the Stanely Cup finals and then have that team go to play the equivolent Euro team for a World Cup finals or something like that. Shorten the overal NHL season to allow for this.

epic.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote