Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

It has never been about the money to me, but I don't know if I want to go and get a Master's just to be able to teach. At best, I'd be doing entry-level courses at a school en route to a PhD, but I'm not sure 20k + is going to be worth it if I end up teaching high school civics and social sciences to make less money than I do with a Bachelor's now. Though, I enjoy that sort of environment a lot more.
The standards are always going to be rising for teachers. Used to be that bachelor degrees were enough, but now there's certifications, credentials that go along with your degrees, depending on what state you are in. Sometimes the district may pay for a portion of your tuition, sometimes the school you are going to finds grants for you, and its paid for. (I was lucky enough to get a grant to pay for everything.) Some states have a program where they will pay for your tuition, and in return you have to work in an area for x amount of years, where they are struggling to find good teachers. (ie. inner city schools). When looking at schools, always ask them about these questions. The good schools always have an answer and a plan to help you out.

All in all, I'd say you should get your masters, since you have nothing holding you down.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote