View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #1090
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Recently re-read "Jumper" by Steven Gould. Yes, this is the book that the really bad Hayden Christensen film is based on but don't hold that against it. It's about a teenager who discovers he can teleport, how he deals with that and what he does with his talent. It is NOT some lame good guy vs. evil secret society story. In fact there is no group of villians hunting down jumpers (Davy Rice is the only one).

Easily in the top fifty sci-fi- books in the last 20 years it's an incredibly fun read.

"Reflex" (the sequel to "Jumper" and also a recent re-read) is also very good. Not as good as the first but still way better than average. Davy Rice returns as the world's only known jumper, until someone else learns how to do it.

I'm really looking forward to the release of "Impulese," the third book in the "Jumper" series, due out next year.

Other recent reads:
"Amped" by Daniel H. Wilson. Based in the near future it's a story about bigotry and hatred with meaning in today's world.

"H.I.V.E." (the Higher Institute of Villainous Education) bv Mark Walden. If you've read and liked "Artemis Fowl" by Eoin Colfer (an incredible series that is alas, finished with the latest installment) you'll probably like this first book in the series. H.I.V.E. is kinda like Hogwarts for criminal mastermind children. A lot of fun so far and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote