View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default CBS Sports: Pick The Denver Broncos To Finish 11-5

Manning likes 12 personnel (1RB, 2TE, 2WR) and a no-huddle attack. His former teammate Jacob Tamme told me he takes on the Dallas Clark role which he did for the Colts when Clark got hurt. Joel Dreessen, former Titan and jack-of-all-trades gives the Broncos the flexibility to build a spread set or a two-back set or any other formation in their attack package.

Don’t think the Broncos will ignore the run game. As Bill Cowher said to me, “Peyton likes the stretch zone run game to set up his play-action pass and he sees so much two high safety coverages he has to take the run.”

People tell me it was the Broncos' defense that carried the team in 2011, but all I know is that it ranked 20th overall and hemorrhaged 40 or more points in three of its last five games, including the playoffs. Defensive coordinator Dennis Allen is gone, replaced by Jack Del Rio, who reunites with coach John Fox for the first time since the two were together in Carolina, and his job will be to shore up a secondary that was burned too often down the stretch.

Hiring Tracy Porter to replace cornerback Andre Goodman is an upgrade, but the Broncos will miss the leadership and play of safety Brian Dawkins. Either Mike Adams or Rahim Moore replaces him, and, yes, that could be a concern. But when you have Elvis Dumervil and Defensive Rookie of the Year Von Miller coming off the edge, your pass defense starts with your pass rush -- and Denver's is effective. I'm a little concerned how the Broncos replace Brodrick Bunkley inside, but maybe, just maybe, Ty Warren or second-round draft pick Derek Wolfe is the answer. Warren sat out all last season after he was hurt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...denver-broncos
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links