View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #574
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I went to the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit and was a little disappointed.

It didn't help that it was in the high 90s and humid and I had single seats for the game and couldn't sit next to anyone I knew.

It didn't have that magical feel that I was hoping for and I wasn't really nostalgic about it.

It also seemed like the rosters were pretty weak and devoid of a lot of big name Hall of Fame players.
I remember going to the All Star Game in 1998. It was AMAZING. Of course, further was amazing due to my dad winning the car they gave out at the end, and being on the field next to a lot of those guys, shaking Roberto Alomar's hand as he gave the keys to my dad.
A lot of HOFers in that game. Maddux, Clemens, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Gwynn, Ripken, Jeter, ARod, Pedro Martinez, on and on.

2005 had a good group:
ARod, Ortiz, Manny, Vladdy Guerrero, Tejada, Teixiera, I think what killed it was the lack of big names throughout on the pitching roster. Matt Clement, Jon Garland, Colon, kenny Rogers, baez, Bob Wickman, Duescheser, etc. Meh.
NL had some good names there, but also actually a lot of one/two year wonders. Morgan Ensberg really jumps out, as well as others. Also guys who were solid, but nothing spectacular.

I think baseball is going to start to be getting back to those spectacular rosters now. Just look at the guys at this years game, 19 or so are under 26 years old.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote