View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #533
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Unwatchable to some. I've read the article before, and I can identify with it...I just think it's a dumb point of view based on the desire for instant gratification. Baseball is not a "me want now" sport. The beauty of it, however, is that people can enjoy it on the level of "ooh look at the pretty home runs", something much deeper, or anything in between. My parents and my family can go to a game together and my Dad and I can watch the game intently and my wife and mother-in-law can barely pay attention, and my son can watch the game, cheer when everyone else cheers, and just enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.

When I watch a game, the only time I think "Jesus just throw the damned ball" is when they throw over to first a million times. I understand that some people feel it's too slow, but the pace is just right for me.
It's not instant gratification. It's frustration with the "modern game" where the same 9 innings that not too long ago took a little over 2 hrs to play now takes 3 and a half. For no good reason whatsoever other than guys ignoring the rules, and umps letting them. It's not strategy. It's delay of game.

And I definitely don't need to be told of the beauty of the game. I definitely get it. I grew up LOVING the game. It was my favorite to watch growing. I even have season tix to the Sox local minor league team. The major league games have just gotten out of control.

Last edited by Beantown Bronco; 07-09-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote