View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #481
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Yeah, Helton is kind of similar to Mark Grace in that regard. It's great that he can hit for average but in a park like Wrigley or Coors, the slugging % needs to be a lot higher. I know Helton is a fan favorite but if you're a 1B that plays half of his games at Coors Field, you need to be a guy who can drive the ball a lot more than Helton has in recent years.

And once again, you make other solid takes. Coors Field's outfield is so big that they could almost justify having 3 CFs in the OF, kind of like the 85 Cardinals had in Coleman, McGee, and Landrum. And this brings home the other point you're making about how its paramount to have a bigger power hitter/run producer at 1B. If you're going to have speed in the OF, you really need to have power from the infield, especially from 1B and 3B.

What the Rockies should do in the draft is take the best player available in the 1st but then load up on arms in the after that.
I love CarGo, and it seems like Fowler is FINALLY putting it all together. I like those two guys, and then add another speedster. Although with Cuddyer, he isn't bad, but I'd like to have more speed.
Helton just isn't hitting for average anymore either though. He's hitting .243. I absolutely love Helton, and he was a beast, and can play some good defense, but his bat just isn't the same. He'll be around starting though until his contract expires. To my knowledge, the Rockies don't have a 1B prospect either.
Now 3B, the Rockies have Arenado sitting in the wings and Chris Nelson is having a fantastic June, but I don't think he's much more than a platoon/backup guy.
I'd imagine another month, and we'll see Arenado in the big leagues.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote