View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #466
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
But what if the high K rate is being driven by certain pitches that don't work as well at altitude? I don't know if there's an exact template of what an altitude pitcher looks like. But I'd think that getting strikeouts by changing speeds weighs more heavily than the break. I'd also think that keeping the ball down on most hitters (some HR hitters are actually low ball hitters) is especially useful in keeping the ball in the infield and avoiding that massive OF that you mentioned.
The funny thing though, is I've seen plenty of HOF pitchers get rocked in Coors Field.
It is incredibly difficult to pitch there, regardless of how good you are. One guy who comes to mind that was pretty incredible there was Tom Glavine though.

I honestly think the Rockies need to focus on having a bunch of average/control pitchers and spend out the wazoo on hitters. You aren't going to be able to afford to go out and get a pitcher, and it won't be worthwhile. Throwing money at a new 1B would be wiser than throwing money at a SP.

And the guys they have went after were actually some pretty good pitchers in the past. Darryl Kile, Mike Hampton, those guys were solid pitchers who just could not for the life of them pitch well in Colorado.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote