View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #419
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Rose didnt hang around to break the record, he shattered it! He was a player/manager for September/October the last few years of his career (he was on the 40 man roster). Jeter will end up in the top 4 most likely. If you want to sniff the record, you need to be in the league at a very young age like Mike Trout. Robin Yount got in at age 17 and even though he achieved 3K hits, he didn't even get near Rose.
I wouldn't say he shattered it...he broke the record at the end of his second to last season, and hit 40 points below his career average that season, and 40 points below that the next year. I think it's safe to say he would have passed the record anyhow. I think it's pretty disingenuous to say he stuck around just to break the hit record.

For another perspective on just how hard it will be to break this record...4257 is the number. That's averaging 200 hits for 21 years. There are only 15 players total who have 200+ hits in the past 5 years, with Cano, Jeter and Suzuki being the only ones to do it multiple times. To take your Mike Trout example, if he finishes at the pace he's on and gets about 175 hits this season, he'll have to continue doing that each season until 2036.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote