View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #380
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
You're way wrong buddy.
Fielding is pretty fricken important, and that is a HUGE dropoff, which would result in a lot more runs scored for the opponent.
Basically you're saying to me the Mariners would have won more games if they had Cabrera at 3B instead of Beltre during those years. I say false.

Lol at saying a player can just change positions like that without sacrificing for the team. Not alone the errors, but more hits will probably be given up. Which leads to more runs.

I mean, basically, its the equivalent of saying, in football, just throw guys out there, it doesn't matter, focus on offense and scoring points. I'd rather have a RB who will be able to get 1,300 yards opposed to a RB who will get 1,000 yards while sacrificing spending money on defense to upgrade the pathetic LB/DT corp.
It's not as big a difference as you think. Look at Austin Jackson. Centerfielder for the Detroit Tigers. Last year, he had a .992 fielding percentage. He also had 390 chances. If we replace him with a .950 fielding percentage player, his total number of putouts only decreases by 13 over the course of a 162 game season. And I'm not talking about putting Prince Fielder out in CF, I'm talking about getting the best hitter that can actually play that position at a reasonable level. I don't think you're going to get that many more hits over the course of a season against someone that can at least cover the ground needed for said position.

On the other hand, let's look at the number of Runs Created for Jackson (90), and say, the #10 player in Runs Created last year: Curtis Granderson (121). That's a difference of 31 runs over the course of a season. That is not to mention that players with higher Runs Created also tend to generate more walks. I also realize the Runs Created statistic is not an absolute, but then again, neither is fielding percentage. This is obviously not an apples to apples comparison.

Let's even try to get a little closer to an apples to apples comparison, considering this started with a couple of us Tigers fans bemoaning the play of our defense. Miguel Cabrera replaced Brandon Inge at 3B. No, I'm not going to be the dumbass and go "NURRRR let's compare last season's numbers", since Inge finished below the Mendoza line last season, but let's do this: let's compare Inge's best season as a hitter with Cabrera's worst season as a hitter. Then let's compare Inge's best season fielding at 3B with Cabrera's worst season fielding at 3B. Just for fun. Let's see what happens.

In 2006, Brandon Inge hit .253 with 27 HR and 83 RBI. He had 77 Runs Created that year.

Let's at least be a little bit fair and not use Cabrera's rookie season. His worst non-rookie season was his 2nd year, when he hit .294 with 33 HR and 112 RBI. He had 112 Runs Created.

Inge's best year fielding was 2010. He had a fielding percentage of .977 on 395 chances. That is 10 Errors.

Miguel Cabrera's worst year fielding at 3B was 2007. He posted a fielding percentage of .941 on 389 chances. 23 Errors for Cabrera.

So here we are talking about a difference of 13 Errors, vs. a difference of 35 Runs Created. Even if you say Inge can get to that many more balls hit his way, you're still seeing a deficit there.

Again, these numbers are not absolute, but you can definitely see the direction I'm going. It's certainly not "way wrong".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote