View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #376
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
BTW....you see that Bad News Bears inning by Detroit last night?

Someone said it best....3 of our 4 infielders look like they should be bouncers, not infielders.

It sucks because Miggy is a much better fielding first baseman than Prince....but Prince would scoff at playing DH.
I didn't, but I can only imagine what happened, complete with Benny Hill's theme song playing in the background.

I honestly don't put a whole lot of thought into fielding one way or the other, though. I don't get too down on poor fielders or too excited about great ones, because ultimately, the game is about getting runs across the plate. The difference in potential runs given up between a .990 and say a .950 fielder has much much less impact on a team than the difference between a .320 hitter and a .280 hitter. To illustrate the point, I'll use extremes. Which team would win more games: 9 Brandon Inges or 9 Miguel Cabreras?

The way to win consistently, IMO, is to make sure your best 9 players are in the lineup, regardless of where they play. My dad and brother and I were talking yesterday, and they were discussing what to do with Quintin Berry now that Jackson is back. Their suggestion was to trade one of them for a hitting second baseman. I said screw that, Berry's got more range than Jackson, put in in center and move Jackson to second base. He's proven he can hit, so getting rid of them would be stupid. Find a way to get them both on the field without sacrificing Boesch or Young's bats...that's the only way to do it, IMO.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote