View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #119
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
You are living in the past buddy. Peyton is no longer a Colt and the Chargers aren't what they were a few years. In case you forgot, most of those wins you mention we're during a four year run where the Chargers owned the AFC West. That run is over. You added some pieces this offseason but did they make the team better or just replace some of the losses? Meachum for Jackson. Gaither for McNeill, etc. I could make the argument that neither of those are as good as the player they replaced. Tolbert is gone, Dielman is gone, Castillo is a Free Agent, etc. like I said, some nice Free Agency additions but the Chargers have lost a lot of key pieces these last few seasons.
Your right, Peyton is no longer a Colt. Our last win against him was just in 2010 and we were only 6-5 so no, not all those wins were way back when. In 2010, we handed the Colts their worst home loss in many years since Peyton has been there.
Now, he is 36, hasnt played in a year, is learning a new offense and new players and has two fused vertebrae in his neck and COULD POSSIBLY be one good hit away from being out for a while if not for good.

I never said we owned him and pointed that out if some of you actually would read the posts. Im just saying we have had good success against him and he doesnt usually play that well against a 3-4 defense and our new DC was with us as a LB coach when we game planned for him with Wade Phillips and Rivera so he knows what worked.
I just like our chances against him and dont fear him at all. No reason to since we have beat him more than he has beat us.

On the other side of that, Carson Palmer who i dont think is a very good QB plays lights out against us.

As for who we lost and who we signed...IMO Gaither is a big upgrade to McNeill. McNeill hasnt been that great since his 2nd season so im glad we replaced him with Gaither who last season with us, was awesome. Didnt allow a sack or even a pressure on Rivers. Thats why they released McNeill and resigned Gaither.

Yes we lost VJ, but Meachem is a good player who was good when he played with Brees and will be productive with Rivers as well. He isnt 6'5", but he is 6'2" and is much faster than Jackson is. I expect him to get 60-70 receptions just as Jackson did for us.
Rivers spreads the ball around so one guy isnt going to have 90 catches. Would of liked to have Jackson back but not with a 13 mil cap hit and i think Meachem is a good replacement who will do well for us. He is a former first round pick who has produced.

Tolbert was an OK player so i dont know why you even mention him. He will be easily replaced IMO but he was a very good ST's player.

Castillo may still come back but he has been hurt so much lately that he isnt the same player.
Dielman is a big loss but honestly when he was out and McNeill was out, the OL as a whole was very good down the stretch. Was it a co-incidence? Maybe, and im not going to say Green is as good as Dielman at all but as a group they played well and im sure we will get another OG somehow. Either by a trade or in the draft.

Im not real high on OLB Jarrett Johnson as a pass rusher but he is very good at everything else and does provide some pressure. He helps free up the other OLB's to attack the QB.
Im sure we will address another OLB in the draft. I expect the draft to be pretty much all defense asside from maybe a OG.

Im thinking OLB will be our first pick so could be one of Upshaw, Perry, Merciles. We're in good possition for one of them. Or, maybe they draft DeCastro but i doubt it. Wouldnt mind Fleener either and would love Michael Floyd but defense has to be the focus and im sure it will be.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-25-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote