Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #64
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I'm sensing a bridling on your part over criticism of Elway.

So what happens when Manning says no, Tebow gets traded and we draft Weeden? What happens next offseason when the next walking wet dream of Elway's is available?

What is the excuse for not building or filling holes on defense while we wait for mellonhead to make a damn decision? 3 FA's visit on friday and Fox, Elway and Xanders run off to NC and leave the FA's to meet with our D-coordinator.

Bang up way to run a franchise, huh.

I think that the franchise that Elway inherited was infected by the disease that Josh installed into it. Josh was given a franchise record (at the time) amount of draft picks and cap room to work with, and he dismantled the team and started to build a team around his melding of ideas between Urban Meyer and Belichick. I dont' know if the idea would have ever worked, but what I do know is that he was a terrible leader and didn't have much to show for what he was left with. I think Elway has managed the situation as best he could given what the situation is. I have a hard time believing that any other GM would have done any better job at this point.

Of course, I'm not one of the type who believed Elway should have ever promised the sun, moon, and stars to Tebow. I like Tebow, but I appreciate why every GM in this league scratches their head when they look at him. He's a huge risk. And even though he has been winning games, the consistency in his play from down to down just isn't there at this point.

I applaud the Broncos for chasing Peyton Manning - even if we miss out on him. I hope we don't, and I understand the black eye that this will give Elway if Manning snubs us for another team - but this is the kind of aggressive move that I like to see our team make in Free Agency. The risk is well balanced by the reward, IMO. The worst case scenario is that we piss of a quarterback who the front office doesn't necessarily believe in anyway. The best case, we get a GOAT type quarterback to help turn the team around.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote