Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #2732
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Montrose is correct in noting that "moving" a highly-popular player can carry risks of fan backlash unless the fan base perceives that it's for the greater good. Regardless of Tebow's popularity, most of the fanbase is going to view Manning as "an upgrade"... and there will be no QB controversy (due to the status of a proven QB like Manning) even if both QBs were kept. But signing Manning would make Broncos fans in general more accepting of the notion of the possibility of trading Tebow.

My personal opinion is that the opportunity to sign a player of the caliber of Manning... one that will instantly make the team better... is too tempting to pass up. But if doing it means that they also have the option of trading a player that they don't believe fits into their plans, then from their perspective, that would also be a benefit, I suppose.
I completely agree with you. If you get a chance to upgrade, you do it. If that upgrade gives you the chance to get out from underneath a very popular player that doesn't fit into your future plans, all the better. I just don't believe that the "chief" motivation in chasing Manning was to get rid of said popular player. I think the main motivation was Elway wanting to upgrade the most important position in sports with a HOF QB in an attempt to win a SB. Anyone claiming that they have inside information or a "hunch" to the contrary, is spewing BS, in my opinion.
bigbucks24 is offline   Reply With Quote